You Are Reading

Alphabet Soup - Typeface - Illustrative Hair Font Experimentations

I have started to experiment by drawing from the scans i took of hair.



I firstly just started scribbling using the scans as reference, just to get the basic shapes and forms that hair takes. This was a rough, pretty bad attempt, but gives me an idea of how the font can be inspired by the shapes of hair.


I used a basic 'ARIAL BLACK' font, for now, just to see if this would actually work on the most basic of fonts. I looked for sections in my drawings and scans that i thought fit the letters 'A' and 'B'. As you can see on the 'A', there i a section of hair coming down the left hand side of the letter and then another large section stretching across the crossbar of the letter. This seemed like the best way to fit the hair more naturally into the letterforms. I did a similar thing to the 'B'. The left hand side has hair coming down and the hair starts to curve around the curves of the letter towards the right hand side, working in my favour. 


I traced, re-formed and re-traced the hair, in different ways until i was happy with a finished result. A good starting point for this project. 

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.