You Are Reading

OUGD505 - Responsive - Project Report & Evaluation

Project Report








Evaluation




1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?


I think the biggest skill set I have developed throughout the module is working professionally and learning to communicate effectively, whether that be with a client or another creative collaboratively. As the briefs have all been for real life clients or competitions, I think it's important to gain the knowledge and experience of working to specific guidelines or working closely with the client to help make sure you meet their desired needs. I have had professional meetings with clients and my creative partner, as well as many emails and phone calls to make sure we are all on the same wavelength. 

I have had important experience within the Industry, whether that be working with different clientele or through the various placements and Internships i have undergone. This has helped developed not only software skills but also how you are expected to work within a close knit design team. Communication and Idea generation is key. 

For a lot of the briefs with clients I have helped develop skills in product, packaging and how to create 





2. What approaches to methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?


I have had the opportunity to work with much greater concepts, materials, processes and formats than any other brief I have previously created. When working with industry set guidelines, especially for the competition briefs, It allows you to be a bit more experimental with the design output. I have picked up skills in areas I probably wouldn't have expected to, such as learning how to create a wooden mold to then go on and vacuum form plastic and also working with different final products such as glass wear and wood. When working on grander scale products, you can start to think more creatively about the final product and how your development and experimentation can aid this to see what is possible to create and what isn't. 





3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?


I feel that there are definite strengths within Branding coming to light this year. I feel confident when working with clients on their brand in order to give them something unique that will basically help them or their business succeed in their chosen area. I enjoy bringing a brand to life within different areas and across different platforms, both print and web. I think this is one area which I will pursue over the rest of this year and into the third year and hopefully work with bigger clients and with design agencies to help gain extra knowledge in this area. 

I also feel that I'm starting to think about concept much more towards the end of this year. I'm not just designing what already exists, particularly with the collaborative brief. We was able to come together come up with a stronger concept that is unique and create something that stands out and will leave a lasting impression. I will try to capitalise on this by thinking about the brand strategy and concept a lot more before diving into designing. It is definitely, without a doubt, the most important thing to consider. 





4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?


Although I have vastly experimented with different processes throughout this brief, I feel there is always new stuff to learn to push your skills to the limit whilst the facilities are here. This can be processes in print but also web. I've come to realise that Web is a massive area of design that is taking over Print slowly wether we like it or not. I feel that although i've gained the basic coding skills with HTML and CSS through the workshops, I would like to try and push this further within the next briefs I encounter where possible. I have recently had to turn down more that a couple of clients due to not being able to




5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Time Management - I will make a clear diary to control which brief needs to be focussed on and at what specific times. I think my time management skills have come on greatly since when we first started the course, but it gets difficult when balanced more than 5 or 6 briefs at one time. This is where a detailed plan has to be put into place when working. 

Photographing Products - I feel this is something else which I have really developed since firs starting the course. I'm stepping away from the classic 'hands holding up a poster' presentation. I think whatever brief I'm working on in the future, It's very important to get the setting of the products and the layout perfect and relevant to make the design shine. I'd even say it's just as important, if not more important, as the design and concept being good. 

Developing a Concept - This is another thing that is starting to progress more, particularly in the latter collaborative brief, but it still needs to be applied to every brief more consistantly. I really wasn't happy with my concept in the end for the Bacardi Brief. I felt that, although it was executed well and got good feedback,  it came across quite generic. I feel that with the briefs following this and the ones in the future, I will put much more effort into the original concept, before delving into design. 

Stock Consideration - I feel that when working particularly with Brands that rely on an identity making them stand out and look good, The actual stock and presentation is just as important as a logo or identity, and can even be an overarching element of the brand itself. This is something I need to consider when applying to a brief. The stock needs to be relevant to the concept and can be used to help the brand stand out or maybe give an idea about the company and ethos.

Picking Briefs Carefully - this is something that I need to more into the end of this year and throughout the third year. I need to be selective with what Briefs i will do and what i'll leave. This way, my portfolio will be handpicked and carefully crafted to get all the attributes across which is vitally important when leaving the course. I feel that I have wasted my time on some briefs this year that I wouldn't want to put in my portfolio. 



6. How would you grade yourself in the following areas;-


(5 = excellent, 4=very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor)


Attendance = 5
Punctuality = 5
Motivation = 5
Commitment = 5
Quantity of Work Produced = 4
Quality of work produced = 4
Contribution to the group = 4

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.